Anyways, the VIP bus takes us to the back end of the Utilidor (the underground tunnels) so we can go to our lockers, the Mouseketeria, and up three flights to the surface so we can go to work. Yes we have to go back down and up when we go to lunch. It's a workout! The Utilidors pretty much just look like the inside of Costco but with shorter ceilings. The walls and floor are concrete and the ceilings are pipes and hanging lights. It's not too special.
I usually drop off my stuff at my locker, then go straight up, because I will spend plenty of time in the Mouse later during "tea time" (break). I go up and clock in, then get my assignment and start doing it. I will most often get hair, but there are three podium jobs, and those are actually really easy to do, just hectic. Checking people in, helping people choose sizes and escorting to the dressing room, and gathering the dresses and setting up the dream dressing room are the tasks of the three podium people.
Sometimes we get backed up because the dressing rooms are full (we just have 2) and little princesses are super picky and indecisive. Oh well, they are paying a lot to be that way.
The hair chairs have three hairstyles, Fairytale Princess (tiny bun and tiara right on top of their head), Disney Diva (a rat's nest of fake hair and curls on top of their head absolutely doused in "pixie dust" (not glitter!), and finally Pop Princess (ahuge explosion of ratted multicolored synthetic hair on top of four difficult twists and mickey clippies). These are all pretty simple to do, though the twists take a little practice. Here they are: (In order from left to right: Diva, Fairytale, Pop)
But anyways, I do a princess, remember all the 500 steps and rules, and little things like no combs on the table, lift the face shield when spraying, pick accessories first, don't forget the sash, work fast, and keep talking and asking questions and telling stories.

But anyways, I do a princess, remember all the 500 steps and rules, and little things like no combs on the table, lift the face shield when spraying, pick accessories first, don't forget the sash, work fast, and keep talking and asking questions and telling stories.
Pop is the hardest to entertain because it takes a long time and I run out of things to say. My favorite is the Fairytale because it is so easy and fast, it uses their real hair, and there is no rat's nest on it anywhere! I love those little buns. So precious.
We get all sorts of people. Tons from Brazil because it is their summer holiday right now. They are easy because the kids don't speak a word of English, and I can entertain them by just playing around with them.
Yesterday when it got super backed up, they pulled the trainees off the floor, and we just went around and buddied, which is just helping with makeup and nails. Easy peasy stuff. But I am no longer a trainee, and I am actually getting good with the hair by now, just not as fast as the veterans. I have been doing it for several days. Today is my first official non-trainee day.
I am very happy with this job. It is fast paced, rewarding, pays well, and has amazing perks. Not only do I go to the magic kingdom every day, but I get to play in all four parks whenever I want. On a hard day, I could just pop out after work is over to see the fireworks or go to downtown Disney, or one of the other parks if I want and just feel better. It is so wonderful here at Disney,a nd I love all the kind, sweet people I work with. I am realy happy to be here. It is amazing. I got the best job ever. It's true.
After work I take the bus home and go to bed early. I eat lunch at work (the Mouse, or Mouseketeria is a really awesome caf with everything from subway to the grill and build your own pasta. Everything is pretty much under $5 so that is really good). I get 2 days off a week and have really awesome hours now. I got up early for training, but now that I am official, my days are pretty much from 2pm to 8pm. I love this! I get sleep and energy. That has pretty much been my life since I last wrote, and I'll write again soon with more stories and experiences here in Florida!
Love you all!!
XOXOXO
Amber
No comments:
Post a Comment